[rspec-users] Using RSpec to drive the design of a GUI desktop application

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sat Nov 17 16:51:18 EST 2007

Matthijs Langenberg wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I've been using RSpec as a tool to create web applications for some time
> now, in Rails, and using plain Ruby with WEBrick as well. The tool suits
> my needs and the story runner is great.
> Now there are things that aren't solvable on the web, you'll need a
> _real_ desktop application for those problems.

Well ... given a large enough monitor and a minimal set of toolbars and
menus on your browser, I'm not convinced there's much of a difference
between a "desktop" application and a "web" application from the point
of view of a user sitting at a KVM portal. Of course, there is over a
decade of convergence between the two user interfaces, so that's not a
great surprise. What do you think you couldn't do with a browser and a
web application framework/database running on the same machine as the
browser and contacted via "localhost"?