[rspec-users] Unexplainable failure...at least for me

Chris Olsen lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Nov 7 09:54:23 EST 2007

Chris Olsen wrote:
> That is the problem, which is clear now that I tested it with the
> script/console in test mode rather than development.
>
> So now the question is, why does the data not exist in the test
> database.  The country and province data inserts exist within the
> migration files, ex for countries:
>
> class CreateCountries < ActiveRecord::Migration
>   def self.up
>     create_table :countries do |t|
>       t.column :country_id, :integer
>       t.column :name2, :string, :limit => 2
>       t.column :name3, :string, :limit => 3
>       t.column :name, :string
>       t.column :district_name, :string
>       t.column :code_name, :string
>       t.column :strength, :integer
>     end
>
>     country_data = [
>       [124, 'CA', 'CAN', 'Canada', 'Province', 'Postal Code', 100],
>       [840, 'US', 'USA', 'United States', 'State', 'ZipCode', 50],
>       #along with many other countries
>      ].each do |c|
>
>       insert_params = {
>         :country_id => c[0],
>         :name2 => c[1],
>         :name3 => c[2],
>         :name => c[3],
>         :district_name => c[4],
>         :code_name => c[5],
>         :strength => c[6]
>       }
>
>       Country.create(insert_params)
>   end
> end
>
> Thanks for the help.

I should mention that the test database is cloned properly with the
script:
task :reset_databases do
  system "mysqladmin -u root drop MyDB_development"
  system "mysqladmin -u root drop MyDB_test"
  system "mysqladmin -u root create MyDB_development"
  system "mysqladmin -u root create MyDB_test"
  system "rake db:migrate"
  system "rake db:test:clone_structure"
end

script/console test