[rspec-users] no speed up with spec_server

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Thu Nov 1 21:15:13 EDT 2007

On Nov 1, 2007, at 5:08 PM, Jeremy Stephens wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I'm running spec_server and using --drb with my specs in Rails, and
> I'm seeing virtually no speed up.  I'm using rspec/rspec_on_rails
> trunk.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Same here.  AFAIK, all the drb server does is load up the rails
environment.  This should save you a good 2-3 seconds every time you
run your tests, but there are other speed hits -

- The test database needs to be recreated
- The classes in app + lib need to be re-loaded

And so on... The most obvious speed hit is actually loading data into
the database, as well as reading it out, and at least for me, the 2-3
seconds for loading the environment isn't noticeable either way if
I'm actually hitting the database in a model spec.  Maybe that would
be your case as well?