[rspec-users] autotest debugger?

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Thu Nov 1 12:53:56 EDT 2007

On Nov 1, 2007, at 6:18 AM, Jamal Soueidan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I keep facing problems with autotest, and I don't know what's
> happening
> in the background, is there anyway to know what's happening while
> testing?
>
> Example:
> @user = User.new
> @user.email = "testcom"
> @user.errors.on(:email).should_not be_empty
>
> ...throws error failure

This is not an autotest problem, this is a test problem.

Usually I start adding extra tests:

it "should not raise an error with a new user (exploratory test)" do
	lambda {
		User.new
	}.should_not raise_error
end

If that one fails...then it's a problem with my setup (before
(:each))...and so on.

If I really have no idea what's going on, I'll insert the following
snippet to the top of the spec:

require 'rubygems'; require 'ruby-debug'; debugger;

(I use textmate, and have a snippet setup so that I can type "debug"
tab, and the full line gets inserted)

The next time autotest runs, it will drop me into the debugger (make
sure you have the ruby-debug gem installed).

Hope that helps,

Scott