[rspec-users] Using mocks

barsalou barjunk at attglobal.net
Wed May 30 18:11:54 EDT 2007

I've just started doing TDD/BDD and like the idea of mocks.  So I set
out to use them.  The doc pages seem great, I setup the mock and then
it just works.  Here is what I am trying to do:

Myuser is a non-rails model of user attributes.  We are going to be
mocking the connection to the ldap server.  The user class has a login
method that connects to the ldap server and if successful, returns the
user object.  For now though, I'd be happy for it to return the true
value.

I'm writing this message cause it doesn't work for me, but I'm sure it
is because I am not doing something right...but unsure what exactly
that is.

describe Myuser do
  before(:each) do
    my_mock = mock(:some_name)
    my_mock.should_receive(:login).with("user","pass").and_return(true)
  end

  it "should be logged in" do
     my_mock.login("user","pass")

I get this:

NameError in 'Myuser should be logged in'
undefined local variable or method `my_mock' for [Dynamically generated
class for RSpec example]:#<Class:0xb7633930>

I figure I'm using the mock wrong in the test, but couldn't find an
example that made sense to my newby mind.

Thanks for any direction.

Mike B.