[rspec-users] How to test for exceptions

Blake Pettersson blake.pettersson at hotmail.com
Sun May 20 12:50:02 EDT 2007

Sorry about that, I should've been more clear. After sending the first message, I realised that I had sent a post to the wrong method in my spec (I sent it to create instead of update, as I meant to). Since I altered the code to reflect my true intention, so did the error message. Here's the new (and hopefully correct) spec + error message:

describe VenuesController, "on update" do

  before(:each) do
    @venue = mock("venue")
    @venue.stub!(:new_record?).and_return(false)
    @venue.stub!(:to_param).and_return('1')
    controller.class.send(:define_method, :rescue_action) { |e| raise e }
  end

 it "should raise an error if record is invalid" do
    stub_authorized_login
    Venue.should_receive(:find).and_return(@venue)
    @venue.should_receive(:update_attributes!).with("name" => "random text").and_return(false)
    lambda {put :update, :id => @venue, :venue => {"name" => "random text"}}.should raise_error(ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid)

2)
'VenuesController on update should raise an error if record is invalid' FAILED
expected ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid but nothing was raised
./spec/controllers/venues_controller_spec.rb:32:
script/spec:4:

Line 32 is in this case the last line in the spec (i.e the error assertion).

Blake