[rspec-users] Fixtures considered harmful?

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Fri May 18 11:03:04 EDT 2007

I'm trying to get really serious about doing true BDD for a new Rails
project, and I note that at <http://rspec.rubyforge.org/documentation/
rails/index.html> it says:

"we really don’t recommend the use of rails fixtures"

On the same page it also says (about Model specs):

"these are the only specs that we feel should actually interact with
the database"

But looking, for example, at the examples at <http://
rspec.rubyforge.org/documentation/rails/writing/models.html>, almost
all of them use fixtures. Can someone please clarify why use of
fixtures are not recommended?

Anyone care to recommend an active, open source Rails project that's
using RSpec and which is an exemplar of "best practice"? I'd really
like to get things right first time, if I can...