[rspec-users] UI testing framework? (w/o selenium)

Tim Tischler tischler at purplecoffeecup.com
Wed May 9 11:23:21 EDT 2007

> We have re-written our functional test framework 4 times, and finally
> settled on Selenium. No other open-source tool gets you the
> cross-browser, cross-platform support.
> We use the Ruby bindings for Selenium-RC.

How is it working?  How long did it take you from initial download of
selenium to continuous integration deployment running tests and all, and how
stable is it?  The documentation for selenium is horrid, and we kept having
our very simple tests, on multiple machines, hang indefinitely.

We were primarily using the java flavor, as I hadn't sold anyone on ruby
anywhere yet.

Should I look again?

> To me, this framework is "talking" at the wrong level of
> abstraction. The domain of its "language" has to do with the
> underlying technology, in this case HTML.

I hear you.  At some level, you do have assertions on the HTML, right?  You
abstract them away into some class, but you do need to know that the, say...
"left nav menu" exists on each page, right?

Tests written at this level will be brittle and hard to maintain as
> the application changes.

> Now your tests don't talk about HTML.

Cool, thanks.  So, I'm taking it that you think I should look again at
seleium, and that it's ready for prime time. I guess I'll give it a shot.

Tim Tischler
ttischler at homeaway.com
tischler at purplecoffeecup.com