[rspec-users] have_one and have_present

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri May 4 23:45:13 EDT 2007

On 5/5/07, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > yeah, have_present was due "require" been reserved word :-P
> >
> > validate_presence_of was another option, but that will force me to use
> > validate_uniqueness_of, etc...
> >
> > A lot of typing just for one liner of example :-P
>
> FWIW, you only have to type these things once each time you type them.
> You're going to read them hundreds of times. It's worth the extra
> typing in my view! If the examples are documentation, they should tell
> you, with as little mental mapping as possible, what it is that's
> being described. Using 'validate_presence_of' tells me EXACTLY what
> the code should look like. That's worth a lot to me.

Valid point,

Prior matchers I was using eval to create the specifys...

should_validate_presence_of, uniqueness_of, etc.

I tried to make shorter, but descriptives versions since upgrade.

  # Here start the accessor for examples:
  #  it { @model.should have_present(:attr) } => should not be valid
without :attr

  #  it { @model.should have_unique(:attr) } => should not be valid
with duplicate :attr

  #  it { @model.should have_one(:attr, :through => :assoc) } =>
should has_one :attr through :assoc

  #  it { @model.should belongs_to(:attr, :through => :assoc) } =>
should belongs_to :attr through :assoc
  #  it { @model.should have_many(:attr, :through => :assoc) } =>
should has_many :attr through :assoc

  #  it { @model.should have_and_belongs_to_many(:attr, :through =>
:assoc) } => should has_and_belongs_to_many :attr through :assoc

  # it { @model.should have_no_errors } => should have no errors

Suggestions are welcome ;-)

--
Luis Lavena