[rspec-users] Custom Matcher and NAME NOT GENERATED annoyance

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri May 4 18:47:21 EDT 2007

Hello RSpec users,

Have been using RSpec since 0.8.2 (not too long ago, I must say). and
been creating my custom matchers since was defined as "good practice".

Also, auto-generated names for the examples is very helpful, I'm
trying to take advantage of it.

Since I often prior code/define all the "examples", I have created a
few matchers to fulfill associations and validations of attributes.
Example:

describe "A User (in general)" do
  before(:each) do
    @user = User.new
  end

  it { @user.should have_many(:contest_public_votes) }
  it { @user.should have_many(:design_industry_user_interests) }
  it { @user.should have_one(:user_extension) }
end

That creates the following descriptions:

A User (in general)
- should has_many contest_public_votes
- should has_many design_industry_user_interests
- should has_one user_extension

A new User
- should not be valid without first_name
- should not be valid without last_name
- should not be valid without login
- should not be valid without email
- should not be valid without password
- should not be valid without password_confirmation
- should not be valid without city
- should not be valid without postal_code
- should not be valid without country
- should not be valid with duplicate login
- should not be valid with duplicate email

(I omitted the second description).

Anyway, the problem started with latest release, which if someone my
matcher shows a problem, NAME NOT GENERATED was put in the description
instead of my fancy, nicely done name ;-)

Attached I have included a faulty matcher that shows the issue.

If someone could point me in the right direction to patch rspec, I'll
really apreciate.

Is not critical, but is a bit "disturbing" during the matchers
creation process ;-)

Regards and thanks in advance,

--
Luis Lavena