[rspec-users] sqlite3 and rspec_on_rails tests

nicholas a. evans nick at ekenosen.net
Wed Mar 28 13:40:06 EDT 2007

On 3/27/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at cesmail.net> wrote:
> aslak hellesoy wrote:
> > Maybe it's time to retire RSpec's support for Rails pre 1.2.2?
> >
> > WDYT?
> But in a "free" world, there hardly seems to be any reason to support
> versions older than general release. Maybe you'd want to support general
> release minus one.

Well, even in the free software world, although the costs of buying
upgrades are mitigated, there are still issues of stability and QA, as
well as changing APIs and environments.  Notice how Ubuntu Dapper will
be supported for up to 5 years, even though 10 more editions of Ubuntu
will have been released by it's end of support (and most of them will
only be supported for 18 months).

Granted, having good test/spec coverage and a good quality process and
developers who keep their code clean and keep abreast of current "best
practices" should enable one to upgrade quickly... but it might still
take some time.  And there are the strategic concerns to worry about:
when my company upgrades all of our apps to Rails 1.2, we *will* need
to change some code that currently works in order to make it work
under 1.2.  This is not impossible, or even particularly difficult,
but it will take a little bit of time (there is an opportunity cost),
and it might not be wise to do right before a major release.    (In
fact, one of our apps just had a major release and won't have another
for a little while, and I'm working on cleaning up the trunk to work
under 1.2 right now.)

All of that said... I think it would be best to claim support for only
the latest release, one previous minor release, and one previous major
release: currently 1.1.6, 1.2.2, and 1.2.3.  But if the cost of
supporting the older releases is too high, then I would understand if
you dropped support for 1.1.6 in newer releases of Spec::Rails.  My
company will eventually catch up.