[rspec-users] Windows rspec "gem install win32console"

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 08:19:24 EST 2007

On 3/6/07, johnnybutler7 <JohnnyButler7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Hi I am trying to use RSPEC on windows and i keep getting the following
> error
> "You must gem install win32console to use colour on Windows"
> I have installed this Gem but i am still getting the same error.  The
> file that error is coming from is:
> C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rspec-0.8.2\lib\spec\runner\formatter\base_text_formatter.rb

That line reads as follows:

begin ; require 'Win32/Console/ANSI' if @colour && PLATFORM =~ /win32/
; rescue LoadError ; raise "You must gem install win32console to use
colour on Windows" ; end

So it seems odd that your rspec was complaining even after you
installed the plugin. There are people are using rspec on windows w/
some success, so I'm not convinced the problem is in rspec alone - it
seems to be in rspec in conjunction w/ your particular system.

Any chance you recently upgraded to Vista? Maybe the environment
variables have changed?