[rspec-users] Autotest bug with rerunning passing tests?

Chris Anderson jchris at mfdz.com
Sat Jun 23 17:35:54 EDT 2007

On 6/23/07, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Neither. It's just the way we set up the mappings. My experience is
> that the performance savings of targeting just one example as opposed
> to the whole file is not that noticeable but the feedback from running
> all the examples in a given file is much more useful than the feedback
> you get from running just one example until it passes.

I'm a little off-trunk right now, so maybe it's not an issue anymore -
but when I have a spec that has say, 4 failing examples, autotest puts
that file into the next run 4 times. It's a little frustrating when
the number is much larger than four. I often get the spec completely
passing, and then sit and wait for many more identical passing test
runs before autotest finishes the last command-line batch, which in
the worst case can look like this (actually the real command line was
at least 20 times longer):

script/spec -O spec/spec.opts spec/models/track_collision_spec.rb;
script/spec -O spec/spec.opts
spec/controllers/playlists_controller_spec.rb; script/spec -O
spec/spec.opts  spec/controllers/stars_controller_spec.rb; script/spec
-O spec/spec.opts  spec/controllers/stars_controller_spec.rb;
script/spec -O spec/spec.opts
spec/controllers/stars_controller_spec.rb; script/spec -O
[...]
spec/spec.opts  spec/controllers/grabs_controller_spec.rb

If nothing else it's bad for my battery-life. :) The autotest - rspec
interface seems like black-magic to me right now, so if someone is
gonna jump in there and clean things up, I'd be really happy if this
one goes away too.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com