[rspec-users] Autotest bug with rerunning passing tests?

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Sat Jun 23 16:24:11 EDT 2007

On Jun 23, 2007, at 4:14 PM, David Chelimsky wrote:

> On 6/23/07, Scott Taylor <mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com> wrote:
>> Am I correct in remembering that autotest (with Test::Unit) would
>> rerun all the tests if a subset of the tests passed?  If so,
>> shouldn't this behaviour also be present in rspec's autotest library?
> Yes, but it depends on where you make the change. Let's say you get a
> failure and you go look at your example and realize there's something
> wrong and change that. Then autotest will only rerun that example
> (well, that whole file).
> If you make the change to subject code, then it should re-run
> everything once you get the failing example to pass.
> If you're experiencing something different, please follow up with a
> bit of detail about what files you're changing and what examples are
> getting run.

Well actually I was in the refactoring step.  Here is the behaviour:

1. All of the specs are passing.
2. I refactor.
3. The subset of specs that apply runs, and passed
4. Autotest now waits for the next file change or Interrupt.  Nothing
else happens (although, now, all of the specs should run)

P.S. You mentioned that the whole spec file runs with autotest, not
just the ones that are failing.  Is this a bug in the code, or is it
presumed that we should be using the --failures option in spec.opts?