[rspec-users] Testing for cross site scripting, etc.

Courtenay court3nay at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:23:37 EDT 2007

On 6/18/07, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/19/07, barsalou <barjunk at attglobal.net> wrote:
> > Being new to testing and ruby, are there "standard" tests that can be
> > done that test for things like cross site scripting and friends?
> >

> I suppose you mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting (XSS)
>
> XSS happens *in* the browser, where Ruby doesn't run (yet), so I'm not
> sure how you think RSpec is relevant. Unless you want to use Watir or
> Selenium-RC, which allows you to talk to a browser from Ruby (and
> RSpec)

I'd say they want to assert, in the views, that user-generated input
does not render script tags.

Like if I set my user info to be <script>alert('cookie!');</script> it
should appear in the view as &lt;script&gt;alert and so on.

Maybe in the view spec

  @user.stub!(:info).and_return('<script>foo</script>')
  response.should not_have_tag('script')

Right?