[rspec-users] Still recommend the plugins over the gems?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 09:19:10 EDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Brandon Keepers <bkeepers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2007, at 8:42 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:
>
> > We started off w/ gems but decided w/ all the volatility it was easier
> > to manage different versions directly in the app as plugins. As things
> > are less volatile now, we could revisit this.
>
> Think it would be possible to make the plugin not depend on a
> specific version of rspec, but maybe just a branch (e.g. 1.0.x)?

I'm not sure we're there yet. With 1.0, we committed to reducing
volatility in the public API. rspec_on_rails, however, is an extension
of rspec and most of the extension points are not published extension
points. We're basically subclassing specific classes in RSpec. If the
structure changes, which it might if we decide there's value in it,
we're going to have to mirror those changes in rspec_on_rails.

We've started to provide extension APIs like using
Spec::Runner.configure instead of forcing you to monkey patch rspec to
include modules in the examples, etc. But we have a long way to go
before I'd be comfortable decoupling rspec_on_rails from rspec in this
way.

David