[rspec-users] Still recommend the plugins over the gems?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 08:42:54 EDT 2007

On 6/8/07, Scott Taylor <mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2007, at 11:08 PM, David James wrote:
> >> We strongly recommend you install RSpec and Spec::Rails as plugins
> >> (as opposed to relying on an RSpec gem). See special instructions
> >> below if you want to install the HEAD of the trunk, or an older
> >> version.
> > (from http://rspec.rubyforge.org/documentation/rails/install.html)
> >
> > Is this still the case?  Why?
> >
> > Is the rspec_on_rails available in gem form?
> The rspec_on_rails plugin has never been available in gem form, has it?
> Potentially, you could install the rspec_on_rails plugin, while using
> the autotest gem (assuming you got the version numbers exactly
> right).   Or am I wrong on this one, as well?

autotest? I think he was just asking about rspec and rspec_on_rails.

The rspec_generator is ancient. I'd delete it.

We started off w/ gems but decided w/ all the volatility it was easier
to manage different versions directly in the app as plugins. As things
are less volatile now, we could revisit this.