[rspec-users] When to use BDD/TDD w/ external libraries

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Fri Jun 8 02:32:32 EDT 2007

Test First Development is great...But should you use it when you are
adding classes/methods on to external library that doesn't have an
extensive test suite?  I noticed that the rspec plugin for autotest
has no specs.

David Chemlinsky said something to the list a while back that has
been stewing in my subconscious - that you develop software
differently using Test First Development/BDD.  I noticed that it
would be very hard to add a spec library to autotest (I once
performed some code coverage on it and I believe it was at something
like 30 or 40 percent.).  So if one wanted to develop something like
the rspec plugin to autotest, would it be wise to develop it test first?

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this difficulty, or if I'm being
clear.  Let me know if I should clarify with some examples.

Best,

Scott