[rspec-users] Coding standards and whitespace

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Tue Jul 31 17:18:51 EDT 2007

El 31/7/2007, a las 22:48, aslak hellesoy escribió:

> The root Rakefile has a task :fix_cr_lf which I ran a while ago to fix
> newlines in .rb files. Perhaps it can be improved to scan over more
> files, and replace \t with '  ' too?
>
> I'll see what I can do.
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea. I would suggest that \t should be replaced
with '  ' only if it is in the leading whitespace for a line; if it
is elsewhere in the line it is probably being (mis)used for alignment
and it's probably better to just print a warning showing the filename
and then you'd have to visually inspect it as a straight
transliteration might not be right (it might be equivalent to one
space, not two).

I think it's also worth looking for trailing whitespace as it is
almost always an mistake which apports neither semantic meaning nor
visual enhancement.

Cheers,
Wincent