[rspec-users] View-Driven-Development by Behavior-Driven-Development and RSpec

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Tue Jul 31 11:09:54 EDT 2007

On 30 Jul 2007, at 12:10, David Chelimsky wrote:

> I've definitely seen advice to start with models before, but I've not
> seen anything that says "if you're using Test::Unit, you should start
> with models". It's more a development philosophy than a tool issue.

I see this debate come round now and again.  I can see the
perspective of view-driven development proponents, but I've always
thought that the models are your, well, model of your problem domain,
and that you need to understand that before you can create a
consistent interface.  Maybe this is because most of the work we do
here is finance-related, and untangling the web of business
relationships and deals and terms is a nightmare and not something
you want to keep re-doing.  Perhaps the advice to start with views
applies more to sites where the view *is* the behaviour (eg a blog)
rather where the view is more of a presentation layer?

Ashley