[rspec-users] View-Driven-Development by Behavior-Driven-Development and RSpec

Mikel Lindsaar raasdnil at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 05:00:26 EDT 2007

Dear Nathan,

What you are sayiing is correct, and in terms of Ruby on Rails, BDD
_IS_ View Driven development... or at least it should be IMHO.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters in a Rails App is
the Behaviour shown to the user, who has as their only interface, the

The user can not and should not interact with any models.  The user
MIGHT interact with a controller... (say, having a file download which
doesn't get sent through a view), but really... views ARE the
behaviour of a Rails App.

I found the same thing as you... started with spec'ing my models,
doing great, getting to controllers.. doing OK... getting to views and
going "Where did I go wrong?"

Starting with views and working "backwards" from a Test::Unit point of
view has definately opened up a lot of RSpec doors for me.

My $0.02.