[rspec-users] specing a call to render :layout => "some_layout"

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 09:38:19 EDT 2007

On 7/28/07, Daniel N <has.sox at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to specify that an action should be rendered with a given layout
> one particular spec.
>
> What I've got at the moment is this.
>
>   it "should render with the grabber layout" do
>     controller.should_receive( :render ).with( :layout => "my_layout" )
>     do_get
>   end
>
> This doesnt work even though this call to render is being executed.
>
> render :layout => "my_layout"
>
> Firstly I don't understand why this isn't working.  I'm getting an object
> inspect with this message at the end
>
> > expected :render with ({:layout=>"my_layout"}) but received it with (no
> args)
> >

> I'd really like to understand why this isn't working, but I don't really
> like it anyway.  I mean, I really want to spec that under a particular set
> of conditions it renders with a given layout.
>
> I can't imagine I'm the first person to come up against this one.  How are
> other people handling this?

I'm not sure what the particular problem is in your case, but there
have been myriad problems with mocking render because render calls
itself recursively and is a one-stop shop for rendering all sorts of
things. RSpec's mock frameworks, as is the case with most mock
frameworks (the one exception I know of being the new RR framework -
see http://rubyforge.org/projects/pivotalrb/) do not support mocking
one call to a method and passing the rest through. So while under some
circumstances everything works fine, under others, not so much.

This is resolved in trunk with the addition of the expect_render
method, which uses composition to interact with a mock, but doesn't
actually mock the method directly. You use it like this:

controller.expect_render(:layout => false)

Any calls to render that don't look like that will be passed through
to the controller's render method.

This will be part of the 1.0.6 release, which has been on hold for a
few weeks pending some additional changes but I'm thinking of
releasing it sooner than later.