[rspec-users] specing a call to render :layout => "some_layout"

Daniel N has.sox at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 09:28:28 EDT 2007

I'm trying to specify that an action should be rendered with a given layout
one particular spec.

What I've got at the moment is this.

  it "should render with the grabber layout" do
    controller.should_receive( :render ).with( :layout => "my_layout" )
    do_get
  end

This doesnt work even though this call to render is being executed.

render :layout => "my_layout"

Firstly I don't understand why this isn't working.  I'm getting an object
inspect with this message at the end

expected :render with ({:layout=>"my_layout"}) but received it with (no
> args)

I'd really like to understand why this isn't working, but I don't really
like it anyway.  I mean, I really want to spec that under a particular set
of conditions it renders with a given layout.

I can't imagine I'm the first person to come up against this one.  How are
other people handling this?

Cheers
Daniel