[rspec-users] MockCov: Proof of concept

Ian Leitch port001 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 08:02:45 EDT 2007

Hey list,

RSpec is great, I've been using it at work for a couple of months now. One
gripe I have is that I find it hard to know exactly to what extent my code
is covered by the specs. I am aware of RCov and Heckle; they're great, but
I'd like to demonstrate another perspective of coverage analysis I've hacked

The perspective is that of what is mocked and what isn't, with RCov
execution analysis mixed in for better viewing. My itch was "To what extent
is my code mocked?" -- hence the name MockCov.
It produces a report for each file with stubbed methods and executed lines
highlighted. From that I can easily see what my specs failed to mock and
therefore most probably didn't specify any kind of behavior for.

Here is a sample report: http://zioko.com/review_drop.rb.html
(please forgive the small size of this sample, my employer understandably
didn't want me showing too much of our code)

You'll notice that there isn't any kind of statistical coverage summary, I'm
not sure how to quantity the results and indeed haven't spent any time
thinking about it; that can come later. For now I'd just like to gauge the
response to this.

I haven't packaged the code up yet, it's a horrible hack and needs to be
reworked from scratch; I need to talk with someone on how best to integrate
it with RSpec before that happens though.

Let me know your thoughts.