[rspec-users] Mocking Rails association collections

Paul psadauskas at absolute-performance.com
Wed Jul 18 18:41:45 EDT 2007

I eventually ended up using this, from a somewhat-related post to this
list a couple months ago:

def assoc_mock(stubs = {})
  proxy = mock('association_proxy')
  stubs.each do |method, ret|
    proxy.stub!(method).and_return(ret)
  end
  proxy
end

Then I can do something like I wanted:

@comment = mock_model(Comment)

@article = mock_model(Article, :comments => (@comment = assoc_mock(:find
=> [@comment])))

But this works just like the stub!(Foo, :method => return). I might keep
mine, though, its a little more explicit as to what the 'in-between'
collection is.

Thanks,
Paul