[rspec-users] Getting past my login system

Ryan Tucker rctucker at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 17 02:26:51 EDT 2007

>     >     <mailto: rctucker at u.washington.edu
>     <mailto:rctucker at u.washington.edu>>
>     >     > <mailto:rctucker at u.washington.edu
>     <mailto:rctucker at u.washington.edu>
>     >     <mailto: rctucker at u.washington.edu
>     <mailto:rctucker at u.washington.edu>>>> wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     >     Ryan Tucker wrote:
>     >     >     > Thank you in advance for your help.  I am relatively new
>     >     to both
>     >     >     Rails
>     >     >     > and Rspec and I am hoping for some insight from some
>     >     experienced
>     >     >     veterans.
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     > Right now I am using Rspec for code that has already
>     been
>     >     >     written so
>     >     >     > that additional functionality can be developed using
>     the BDD
>     >     >     method. My
>     >     >     > problem shows up when I try to spec controllers that are
>     >     behind the
>     >     >     > login system.  Each page checks for the
>     session[:user], and if
>     >     >     they do
>     >     >     > not exists, requires them to login.  Logging in is
>     handled
>     >     by one
>     >     >     > controller (the Admin controller) and I want to access a
>     >     page under
>     >     >     > another controller (say a Students controller).
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     > In my students_controller_spec.rb, I want want to
>     make sure
>     >     >     > http://test.host/students is successfully displayed,
>     so I
>     >     wrote
>     >     >     > something like:
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     >   it "should be successful" do
>     >     >     >     get :index
>     >     >     >     response.should be_success
>     >     >     >   end
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     > The problem is that is keeps redirecting to my login
>     page at
>     >     >     > http://test.host/login.  I tried then setting
>     >     session[:user] and
>     >     >     doing a
>     >     >     > post to my login page to simulate a login so that I
>     could
>     >     access the
>     >     >     > correct page, but that does not seem to work.  I tried a
>     >     number of
>     >     >     > things, including the following:
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     > def do_login
>     >     >     >   @user = User.find(:first, :conditions =>
>     ['username = ?' ,
>     >     >     'ryan'] )
>     >     >     >   session[:user] = @ user.id <http://user.id>
>     <http://user.id> <http://user.id>
>     >     >     >   post :login, :path => []
> [...]

There is also a method that checks whether or not a user has rights to
view a particular page as below.

  def check_authorization
    unless @current_user.superuser or
      @current_rights.detect do |right|
        right.action == action_name && right.controller ==
self.class.controller_path
      end
      flash[:warning] = "You are not authorized to view the page you
requested."
      redirect_to home_url
      return false

The @current_user is set in another method set_user().

  def set_user
    unless session[:user].nil?
      begin
        @current_user = User.find( session[:user], :include => [
:positions ] )
        @user_preferences = @current_user.preferences || {}
        @current_rights = @current_user.positions.collect do |pos|
          pos.role.rights.collect
        end.flatten.uniq
      rescue
        # Do nothing

So, login() sets the session[:user], set_user() sets the @current_user
as well as the rights of the user and
check_authentication()/check_authorization() use the @current_user to
check whether or not a user is who they say they are (via password
verification) or view the page (via rights).

My apologies if this has been redundant. I did try reading through other
posts before posting my own, but I guess I did not understand how to
apply what I read to what I have. I did attempt mocking a user using the
method suggested by Scott, but got an error stating:
"Mock 'User_1000' received unexpected message :preferences wit (no args)."

Perhaps it is because I am not doing that properly either, so I will
make sure I understand that a bit better first.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Take care,
Ryan