[rspec-users] Getting past my login system

Daniel N has.sox at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 01:55:46 EDT 2007

On 7/17/07, Ryan Tucker <rctucker at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> >     >
> >     > If it's the presence of the session[:user] that tells the
> >     > before_filter that your logged in, the you don't need to do the
> >     post.
> >     > In fact you shouldn't post, since as you found out if you post to
> >     > login, your posting to the login action of the controller your
> >     > currently in.  Bad.  Your setting the session and you shouldn't
> need
> >     > to do any more.
> >     >
> >     > HTH
> >     > Daniel
> >     >
> >     >
> >     >

> >     Thanks, Daniel.
> >
> >     That was my understanding as well, but, for some reason, that has
> not
> >     been enough.  The post was an attempt to simulate an actual login by
> >     posting to another controller (I know it was bad...) since just
> >     setting
> >     the session[:user] was not a success.  Thank you for your help
> though.
> >
> >     Take care,
> >     Ryan
> >

> > Can you post your before_filter method that checks if your logged in?
> >
> > Also your login method in your Admin controller.
> >
> > Cheers

>   #  The Logins are to track a users activity, and this supports
>   # when a user wants to access a page and needs to login first, sending
> them to it after they login.
>   # Authenticate checks the username and password against the username
> and password in the
>   # database.
>   def login
>     if request.post?
>       if @current_user = User.authenticate(params[:username],
> params[:password])
>         login = Login.create(:remote_ip => request.remote_ip.to_s,
> :user_agent => request.user_agent.to_s, :http_vars => request.env)
>         @current_user.logins << login
>         session[:user] = @current_user.id
>         uri = session[:original_uri]
>         session[:original_uri] = nil
>         redirect_to uri || home_url
>         return
>       else
>         flash[:error] = "Access denied"
>       end
>     end
>
>     if session[:user]
>       redirect_to home_url
>       return false
>     end
>     set_page_title "Log In"
>   end
>
>   # This checks that there is a current user, and checks if they are
> active
>   # In my case, I am keeping track of whether or not I have disabled
>   # a user.  active?() returns true so long as they are have not been
> deactivated.
>   def check_authentication
>     unless @current_user and @current_user.active?
>       session[:original_uri] = request.request_uri

I hope I can ;)

Take care,
> Ryan

Ok there's a fair bit of stuff going on in the login code.  It doesn't seem
that you've included your before_filter that checks to see if a user is
logged in in your controller.

Do you use a before_filter or some other method in the controller to check
for logged in status?  Can you post the code that checks if a user is logged
in for the controller.

Cheers
Daniel