[rspec-users] Outside-In with RSpec on Rails

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 11:55:09 EDT 2007

On 7/6/07, Jed Hurt <jed.hurt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just read 'Mocks Aren't Stubs' and was intrigued by the notion of
> 'outside-in' TDD.
>
> As a Rails developer, I'm curious if others are employing this method
> when developing Rails applications using RSpec. Is it common practice
> (or even practical) to drive the development of a Rails app by
> starting with view specs, then controller specs, then models?

Common? Not from what I've seen. I think that most ppl seem to start
w/ the controller.

That said, I've been starting with the views with some success. I find
that when I've started with the controller, I've ended up doing a lot
more refactoring once that slice was done (i.e. a given
view/controller action/model trio) than I do when I start w/ the view.
In other words, the designs that emerge when I start w/ views are
closer to the designs that I want.

This is just me. I'm not advocating that this will work for everybody.

David