[rspec-users] mocking methods in the controller.

Daniel N has.sox at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 10:27:16 EDT 2007

On 7/6/07, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > dom_id( detail )
>
> If you're using the trunk, you can do this:
>
> template.expects_render(:partial => 'detail', :collection => @things)
>

> > Am I doing someting wrong?  The start of my specs is
> >
> >   before do
> >     @u = mock_model( User )
> >     @book = mock_model( Book )
> >
> >     public_book = mock_model( Book )
> >     private_book = mock_model( Book )
> >     public_book.stub!(:title=).and_return( "Public Title" )
> >     private_book.stub!(:title=).and_return( "Private Title"
> > )
> >     public_book.stub!( :title ).and_return( "Public Title" )
> >     private_book.stub!( :title ).and_return( "Private Title" )
>
> Why are you stubbing the same calls twice each?
>

> >     @u.stub!( :public_books ).and_return( [public_book] )
> >     @u.stub!( :private_books ).and_return( [private_book] )
> >     @clip = mock_model( Clip )
> >     @clip.stub!( :id ).and_return( 1 )
> >     @clips = [ @clip ]
> >
> >     template.stub!( :current_user ).and_return( @u )
> >   end
> >
> > and I've only started.  Is it normal to have to stub this much for a
> view?
>
> Depends on how much stuff is in your view :)
>
> You've got a couple of options. You could create instances of the
> model instead. As long as you're not saving and retrieving them
> there's very little db interaction - just enough for AR to discover
> the attributes.
>
> If you prefer to keep it all mocked/stubbed, you could clean up a bit like
> this:
>
> before do
>   @u = mock_model( User )
>   @book = mock_model( Book )
>
>   public_book = mock_model(Book, :title => 'Public Title')
>   private_book = mock_model( Book, :title => 'Private Title')
>
>   @u.stub!( :public_books ).and_return( [public_book] )
>   @u.stub!( :private_books ).and_return( [private_book] )
>
>   @clips = [ @clip = mock_model( Clip, :id => 1 ) ]
>
>   template.stub!( :current_user ).and_return( @u )
> end
>
> That stubs the same amount of stuff, but its a little cleaner. You
> could also write a shared behaviour that stubs current user:
>
> describe "authenticated page view", :shared => true do
>   before(:each) do
>     template.stub!( :current_user ).and_return( @u )
>   end
> end
>
> describe "/some/page"
>   it_should_behave_like "authenticated page view"
>
>   before(:each) do
>     @u = mock_model( User )
>     @book = mock_model( Book )
>
>     public_book = mock_model(Book, :title => 'Public Title')
>     private_book = mock_model( Book, :title => 'Private Title')
>
>     @u.stub!( :public_books ).and_return( [public_book] )
>     @u.stub!( :private_books ).and_return( [private_book] )
>
>     @clips = [ @clip = mock_model( Clip, :id => 1 ) ]
>
>   end
> end
>
> There's probably a bit more to clean up but I'd have to see the view

index.html.erb

<% content_for :action_bar do %>
  <% @public_books = current_user.public_books %>
    <% @private_books = current_user.private_books %>
  <%= render :file => 'books/_book_list.html.erb' -%>
<% end %>

<% if @book %>
      <h2 class='book_header'><%= @book.title -%></h2>
        <ul id="book_clip_menu">
            <li>
                <button class='collapse_all'>Collapse All</button>
                <button class='expand_all'>Expand All</button>
            </li>
        </ul>
        <%= render :partial => 'detail', :collection => @clips %>
<% else %>
  <%= render :partial => 'detail', :collection => @clips -%>

<% end %>

detail.html.erb
        <button class='minimize'>-</button>
        <h3 id='<%= "#{dom_id( detail )}_header" -%>'><%= detail.title-%></h3>
detail.url).host -%></a><br/>
            <%= detail.created_at.to_s( :long ) -%>
)}_content_container" -%>'>
        <ul class='action_menu'>
            <%= render :partial => 'action_menu_links', :locals => { :clip
=> detail, :book => @book } -%>
        </ul>
        <ul class='view_menu'>
        <%= render :partial => 'alternative_content_links', :locals => {
:clip => detail } -%>
        </ul>
    <% render_as = @view_type || 'html' %>
    <% render_as = 'html' unless Clip.available_types.include?( render_as )
%>
        <% case render_as %>
        <% when 'quote' %>
            <%= render :partial => 'text',     :locals => { :clip => detail
} %>
        <% when 'images' %>
          <%= render :partial => 'images',     :locals => { :clip => detail
} %>
        <% when 'html' %>
            <%= render :partial => 'html',        :locals => { :clip =>
detail } %>
        <% end %>

The _text, _images, _html partials are very simple so I won't show them
here.  This will be enough I think to evaluate it.

Thankyou for helping with this.

Daniel