[rspec-users] testing instance variables that are set inside views

Don Petersen don at donpetersen.net
Wed Jul 4 07:52:25 EDT 2007

I can sympathize with not wanting to just verify the final html
output, even though it would probably be sufficient in this simple case.

I'm a big fan of helpers for any logic in views, even simple stuff
like this.  If you had a couple of methods in your ApplicationHelper
that handled setting and getting the page title value, that would be
very easy to test.

Approaching it this way, you can use the helper specs to verify that
the actual set/get logic worked.  You can even take that whole 'title
= @header || "Default Title"' logic out of your layout if you wanted,
and put it in the helper where you're only testing that logic and
nothing more.

So in your view spec, where you had previously been wanting to test
if an instance variable had been set, now you just need to verify
that the helper method was called.  Like so:
@controller.template.should_receive(:set_page_title)

That's how I have done this very logic in the past, and it feels
right to me.

Alternately, if you don't want to use helpers, you might use
"content_for"(http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionView/Helpers/
CaptureHelper.html).  It's probably overkill for just a basic string
like this, but maybe you can rig it to work in this case.

Don