[rspec-users] Testing route globbing and limitations of get()

David Leal dgleal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 06:33:54 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm new to rails and also to rspec, but I tried to do my homework. To answer
my questions, I searched this list's archives, the Rails API, and Google, to
no avail. Therefor, I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right
directions:

1) There doesn't seem to be a counterpart to assert_recognizes in rspec.
route_for() won't work with route globbing (or will it?) So, how do I test
route globbing?

2) Still using route globbing, if I do

get '/something/somewhere'

rspec will complain that it couldn't find an action for
'/something/somewhere'. I suppose this is the correct behaviour, since we're
testing the controller, and not routing. However, since the controller
action is a catchall, I must pass a path to it, or it won't know what to do.
If I try to specify the path using

request.path = '/something/somewhere'
get 'my_action_name'

the path comes out as '/'.

Can anyone instruct me on how to do this correctly?

Cheers,

--
David Leal