[rspec-users] rspec for the svn-less (ruby version)

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 21:06:12 EDT 2007

On 7/2/07, barsalou <barjunk at attglobal.net> wrote:
> A couple of things:
>
> - it is defaulted to 1.0.5, but if there was a "current" I could
> probably use that instead.

http://rspec.rubyforge.org/download.html says 1.0.5, I'll try to
remember to mention svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/CURRENT,
which is pointing to (and will continue to point to) the latest
release.

> - it seems like everyone might not use the rspec_on_rails piece...what
> do other think?

Your observation is correct. Many people use RSpec without Rails. It
was always meant to be a generic tool, and it will remain that way,
while continuing Rails support in the sister Spec::Rails project.

> - there are some other checks I could put in here, suggestions are welcome.

I prefer cash. I will send you my account number privately :-).

> - general code suggestions are welcome as well.
>
> Mike B.
>

> Here is my ruby version:
>
> #!/usr/bin/ruby -w
>
> require 'ftools'
>
> def usage
>   puts
>   puts "Usage: makespec.rb <path> [<dotted-version>]"
>   puts
>   puts "Version defaults to 1.0.5"
>   puts
>   puts "Example: "
>   puts "   makespec.rb /var/www/rails/railsapp 1.0.5"
>   puts
> end
>
> if ARGV[0].nil? then
>   usage
>   puts
>   puts "You must include a pathname"
>   puts
>   exit 1
> end
>
> version = ARGV[1]
>
> if ARGV[1].nil? then
>   puts
>   puts "Defaulting to version: 1.0.5"
>   puts
>   version = "1.0.5"
> end
>
> rspec="rspec-" + version + ".tgz"
> rspecrails="rspec_on_rails-" + version + ".tgz"
> app = ARGV[0]
>
> if ! File.exist?(rspec) then
>   puts
>   puts "Rspec tarball (" + rspec + ") does not exist in the current directory"
>   puts
>   exit 1
> end
>
> if ! File.exist?(rspecrails) then
>   puts
>   puts "Rspec-rails tarball (" + rspecrails + ") does not exist in the
> current d
> irectory"
>   puts
>   exit 1
> end
>
> if FileTest.directory? app + "/vendor/plugins" then
>    system("tar","zxvf", rspec)
>    system("tar","zxvf", rspecrails)
>    cwd = Dir.pwd
>    Dir.chdir(app + "/vendor/plugins")
>    File.move(cwd + "/" + File.basename(rspec,".tgz"),app +
> "/vendor/plugins/rspec")
>    File.move(cwd + "/" + File.basename(rspecrails,".tgz"),app +
> "/vendor/plugins/rspec_on_rails")
> else
>    puts app + "/vendor/plugins doesn't exist"
>    exit 1
> end

Rake also makes tarballs, and I think correctly so. It seems like the
reason why our (gzipped) tarballs are broken
(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=797) is the upload/release tool we
use - or possibly (but not likely) a RubyForge bug. I don't think your
script will make a difference, but I'll definitely look into it the
next time I adress the tarball bug.