[rspec-users] On debugging rspec; running all specs under multiple directories

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 08:22:00 EST 2007

On 2/27/07, Jerry West <jerry.west at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > One thing I would like to do is run all of the specs in the rspec
> > library to see if they are passing. - the ones that fail will
> > probably point to the culprit.  How can I run all of the specs under
> > one directory, if the specs are under subdirectories?  This maybe
> > more of a unix question then an rspec one...
>
> Well, for the 0.7.5.1 plugin
>
> cd $RAILSDIR; spec -cfs vendor/plugins/rspec_on_rails/spec/
>

> I imagine the filesystem layout is the same for 0.8/trunk(?).
>
> Ironically, you can't run many of the 0.7.5.1 specs under 0.7.5.1 as
> they use the latest 'should' syntax available only with 0.8RC1/trunk.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your interest in contributing.
http://rspec.rubyforge.org/contribute.html might provide a little more
insight.

We are aware of the problems running Spec::Rails' own specs outside of
the project in which it lives in trunk. The problem we ran into is
that there are things that are supposed to be configurable which turn
out not to be, like where Rails looks for controllers, etc. This is a
problem we plan to address before 1.0, but it is not the highest
priority right now.

That said, if you're going to work on rspec, the best thing to do is
to submit a patch against the trunk. Check out the entire trunk and do
this from the project root:

rake install_dependencies
cd rspec_on_rails
rake rspec:pre_commit

The last command runs rspec against 1.1.6, 1.2.1 and 1.2.2. To run it
against edge as well, you need to run the following, all on one line.

RSPEC_RAILS_VERSION=edge rake spec:all

You can also tweak at rspec_on_rails/Mutlirails.rake if you want to
include edge in rake:pre_commit.

Please feel free to ask if you run into any problems at all. There are
several people on this list who have contributed to rspec and can help
if none of the core team are available to respond right away.

Cheers,
David