[rspec-users] drbspec - "no server running"

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Mon Feb 26 15:36:29 EST 2007

Here is how I reproduced it (with a new rails project):

uninstall gem
svn co svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/REL_0_8_0_RC1/gem
gem install gem/rspec-0.8.0-RC1.gem

create new rails project
edit config/database.yml for sqlite3

rake rails:freeze:edge

./script/plugin install svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk/rspec
./script/plugin install svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/trunk/

./script/generate rspec
./script/generate rspec_controller MyController
rake db:migrate (notice that I have no tables in the database,
although I don't think that it matters...)
rake db:test:prepare
spec --drb spec/controllers/my_controller_controller_spec.rb

I've also created a screen cast of this, but my G4 is slow (the
screencast is 6 minutes long)...so you might want to skip ahead of
the downloading of edge rails, etc...

I notice that if I delete all specify's and the corresponding spec's
in the spec file, the error is no longer present.  Look at this
screen cast (this one is only 1 minute):

Once again, my setup:

rails edge,
Mac OS X.4.8
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-25 patchlevel 12) [powerpc-darwin8.8.0]
RSpec-0.8.0 (r1497) - BDD for Ruby

Let me know if I should open a bug report.

Scott Taylor