[rspec-users] Spec failing [Possible Bug with kind_of? and instance_of?]

Jerry West jerry.west at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 24 13:36:36 EST 2007

Answer written in haste, so may well be wrong...

Rails associations are not Arrays even though they claim to be.  I think
they are ActiveRecord::Associations::AssociationProxies; why they claim to
be Array I have no idea, simply being Enumerable would have sufficed I
would have imagined.  Why they proxy an array rather han extending it I
have no idea.  I have very few ideas :-).  I personally believe proxies
that lie to the developer like this should Be Considered Harmful, but it's
not my opinion that counts in this particular piece of opinionated
software :-).

I haven't yet worked out how to tell an AP from an Array.

Hope this helps.  Hope I've remembered correctly too!