[rspec-users] Mocking ActiveResource

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 05:55:29 EST 2007

On 2/7/07, aslak hellesoy <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/7/07, Pat Maddox <pergesu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to use ActiveResource in my app.  Instead of hitting server
> > though, I want it to load from a file when I call find.  Any clue how
> > I do that?
> >
> In the same way as you'd mock ActiveRecord I would think. Is this not
> working for you?

No I want it to actually go through the process of finding something,
but just have it use a file rather than an actual server.

Takes a couple steps (with my current solution):
1. Mock Net::HTTP.new to return some mock http object
2. mock http_object.get to return a mock http response
3. mock http_response.body to return the contents of your file

I think http_object has to have :null_object => true if you want to
keep things simple.

I ended up tossing ARes altogether, so I'm not actually using it at
this point.  But that's at least pretty close to what I did.  Ugly,
but it worked.