[rspec-users] Spec'ing ActionMailer

s.ross cwdinfo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 16:14:08 EST 2007

Yes, this works in the Test::Unit framework, but the rSpec behavior
specing is -- to me -- different in spirit. My scenario is less about
testing whether the mailer should send mail than it is about whether
the action should trigger an email and then what the email should
contain. I settled on this hack:

   specify "should send a ping when a signup occurs" do
     post :signup, {"member"=>{
       "email_confirmation"=>"joe at schmoe.com",
       "last"=>"Schmoe",
       "first"=>"Joe",
       "phone"=>"111-222-3333",
       "working_with_agent"=>"0",
       "preferred_contact_method"=>"email",
       "agent_name"=>"",
       "email"=>"joe at schmoe.com"}, "projects"=>["3"]}

     response.should be_success
     email = ActionMailer::Base.deliveries[0]
     email.body.should include('joe at schmoe.com')
     email.body.should include(projects(:trace).name)
     email.body.should include('member/show')
     email.to.should include('webmaster at test.host')

The code works, but relies on me knowing something about how
ActionMailer collects emails in test mode. My question is: Should my
spec presume this much knowledge or is there a better way to
accomplish it?

Steve