[rspec-users] RSpec on Ruby 1.9: before(:all) (Not Yet Implemented) pending messages instead of tests

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 16:22:13 EST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 3:18 PM, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) <shot at hot.pl> wrote:
> Shot (Piotr Szotkowski):
>
> > I happily hand-compiled Ruby 1.9.0-0 into /home/shot/opt/ruby today
> > and I'm running into a strange error with RSpec – all my examples work
> > perfectly with Ruby 1.8 but are considered peding on Ruby 1.9.
>
> FWIW, I get the same result with this simplest spec:
>
> describe Array do
>   it 'should work' do
>     a = [1, 2]
>     a.first.should == 1
>   end
> end
>
> RSpec 1.1.1 on Ruby 1.8 – 1 example, 0 failures.
> RSpec 1.1.1 on Ruby 1.9 – 1 example, 0 failures, 1 pending.

You should probably bring this up on the rspec-users list (I'm copying
this reply there).

This is most likely either:

1) A bug in Ruby 1.9 - At least one bug was reported just before the
1.9.0 release which related to using module_eval inside a method.
I've looked at the RSpec code and it's using instance_eval inside a
method, so there might be a related bug.  I tried to come up with a
simplified program which evidenced a failure, but couldn't, but I
didn't try all that hard.

2) RSpec running into a subtle 1.9 incompatible language change.  I
didn't see anything obvious, but that's not to say it's not there.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/