[rspec-users] ExampleGroup and SharedExampleGroup relationship(?)

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Thu Dec 27 12:12:56 EST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Corey Haines wrote:

> I'm working on a series going over the source code for rspec, and I
> ran into something interesting with ExampleGroup and
> SharedExampleGroup. I was wondering if anyone could shed light on it.
> [NOTE: I'm working through the code for my own edification in
> learning Ruby. Ruby has some features that I think are incredibly
> cool, so I'm using a concrete implementation (RSpec) as a learning
> tool to see them implemented. Along the way, I figured I would ask
> questions that were confusing  to me. So, please bear with me and
> please please please do not take this as criticisms/attacks]
>
> I expected to see SharedExampleGroup < ExampleGroup, but, instead,
> I saw SharedExampleGroup < Module. This is incredibly confusing to
> me. I realize that they don't even need to have any relationship to
> each other since they get their shared functionality through the
> module ExampleGroupMethods, but it still seems a bit odd to me that
> they don't

Yep - it certainly was surprising to me too.  Here's some explanation
(although not on the design decision front - just on the Ruby, how it
works front):

When you use the keyword module, you are actually creating a new
instance of the Module class.  So these two are equivalent:

MyMod = Module.new()

module MyMod; end

So - Module is a class, but a module is a module (i.e., an instance
of the class Module).

The SharedExampleGroup is a class, which decends from the Module
class.  This, in effect, makes a new SharedExampleGroup instance act
like a typical module (it is a kind_of?(Module)) - just as if you had
declared it with Module.new or the keyword.

The advantage of using the approach of instantiating over using the
keyword is that the keyword always requires a constant to be defined
- on the other hand, Module.new doesn't need a constant, and can be
passed around as a regular object without needing to define these
constants on the fly.

Since the SharedExampleGroup is a subclass of Module, the instances
of SharedExampleGroup can be included just as a regular module can
be, into the regular old ExampleGroup (this is what happens when you
say it_should_behave_like "..." - the instances methods of the
SharedExampleGroup are copied directly.

Now - for why it was implemented this way, and not another way, David
or Aslak could tell you much better than I.

Also - it's likely this implementation will change in the near future.

Hope that helps.

Scott