[rspec-users] Need help mocking this out

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 16:43:42 EST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 11:03 AM, Jonathan Linowes <jonathan at parkerhill.com> wrote:

> btw, to answer the same question for member actions (such as show), you can
> stub or assert the association proxy class
>
>  @article = current_user.articles.find(params[:id])
>
> then,
>
> it "should find article scoped by current_user" do
>  article = mock_model(Article)
>  current_user.should_receive(:articles).and_return(Article)
>  Article.should_receive(:find).and_return(article)
>  get :show, :id => article.id
> end
>
> this will ensure that your controller is not calling Article.find unscoped

I tend to take this one more step. I'm a bit of a demeter zealot, and
I'm also usually writing the examples from the code first. So I'd do
something like:

it "should find the current users articles" do
  article = mock_model(Article)
  current_user.should_receive(:find_article).with("1").and_return(Article)
  get :show, :id => "1"
end

This would lead me to add a find_article method to User:

describe User do
  it "should find it's own articles" do
    user = User.new
    user.articles.should_receive(:find).with("1")
    user.find_article("1)

This has two benefits:
- each example is simpler and focuses on one object and how it behaves
- I can change the relationship between a User and it's Articles
without changing the controller code.

FWIW,
David