[rspec-users] params not available for controller specs?

Jarkko Laine jarkko at jlaine.net
Tue Dec 4 16:49:17 EST 2007

On 4.12.2007, at 23.11, Al Chou wrote:

> I think Jarkko is saying that no spec should have been written for
> the code I was trying to fix/change.  I'm not sure I would agree
> that BDD/RSpec is an inappropriate tool for documenting what I was
> trying to change, but I think he would argue that....

What I was saying was that I think it's important that Order.find gets
called with an array of ids. That's what you want to happen and to
have in your spec, right? So in your spec, you'd have

it "should find orders with an array of ids" do
   Order.should_receive(:find).with(["1", "2", "3"])
   get :download, :ids => "1/2/3"
end

(or whatever ids you pass to the action).

Now, if the current, buggy behaviour just passes the string as "1/2/3"
to Order.find, the spec above will break, because it will not receive
an array but a string. After you add the split("/") call to the actual
code, your broken spec is fixed, and the code works as expected. Tada!
No need to stub String#split anywhere.

//jarkko

--
Jarkko Laine