[rspec-users] params not available for controller specs?

Jarkko Laine jarkko at jlaine.net
Tue Dec 4 13:09:01 EST 2007

On 4.12.2007, at 18.19, Al Chou wrote:

> Going back to my original message, I have the following at the
> beginning of the download method:
>   def download
>    @orders = Order.find( params[:ids] )
> The problem is that params[:ids], although built as an Array object
> by the view that calls the download method on the controller, is
> passed as a /-delimited string of id values.

If I set

   <%= link_to "Test", :controller => "clients", :foo => [1, 2, 3, 4,
5] %>

I get this as the url:

That will get correctly parsed back to an array in the receiving action:

Parameters: {"action"=>"index", "foo"=>["1", "2", "3", "4", "5"],
"controller"=>"clients", "locale"=>"en"}

This is Edge Rails, though, so YMMV.

>   Order.find() will not do the desired thing with that string, which
> was intended to be an array by the view, but Rails passed it in a
> string representation.  So the method really should be
>   def download
>    @orders = Order.find( params[:ids].split( '/' ) )
> and what I'm trying to spec is the addition of the call to split().

IMHO there's no need to stub string methods like that. Just do
something like this:

Order.should_receive(:find).with(%w(1 2

If params[:ids] is "1/2/3", you can be pretty certain that split("/")
will work correctly so you're more interested in that the find method
gets called with correct set of attributes, an array. It's not really
interesting how that array got to be. In this case, you might notice
that somehow params[:ids] is an array after all and you can take the
split call away, and the spec will still pass.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the split call is part of the
controller action's internal implementation, and you should be
spec'ing how it behaves related to its surrounding world: fetches
stuff from the business model, assigns objects for the view etc.

Jarkko Laine