[rspec-users] Need help mocking this out

Daniel Tenner daniel.ruby at tenner.org
Mon Dec 3 05:48:16 EST 2007

Hi Daniel,

You're trying to do too much in the controller. It's not the
controller's responsibility to ensure that the user is capable of
returning its own article without including anyone else's - that's
the user's (or the Article model's, perhaps) responsibility. Your
controller should be thin and simple, delegating all business logic
onto the model objects. See this article: http://www.pragprog.com/
articles/tell-dont-ask

Once thinned down like this, speccing the controller becomes trivial
- just mock the current_user method and ensure that it receives a
call to "available_articles" or whatever the method name is. Then,
spec that method in the User model. At that point, don't mock
anything you don't have to, and test the behaviour of the User model
(e.g. "it should not return anyone else's article within its
available articles" or something like that).

Hope this helps,

Daniel