[rspec-users] Foreign key constraints, fixtures, and rake task

Jay Levitt lists-rspec at shopwatch.org
Mon Aug 27 10:51:16 EDT 2007

Tilmann Singer wrote:
> * Jay Levitt <lists-rspec at shopwatch.org> [20070827 03:51]:
>> What's rake doing differently?
> rake spec isn't doing anything fundamentally different, but the order
> the specs are run is propably randomly different from when you run
> them with spec so they happen to pass in one case and fail in the
> other.

Nope, it's definitely not random - script/spec works every time, rake
fails every time.

I'm not actually using :accounts at all in my specs; it's only
referenced in the database constraints.  (It's tested in Test::Unit at
the moment.)  So the order wouldn't matter.

I'm sure I can work around it by loading all the fixtures in some order
that makes the database happy; I'm more curious as to why it happens
with "rake spec", and not with (what seems to be) the equivalent
script/spec command.

Unfortunately, test.log doesn't show me anything that happens during the
failed rake run.  I'll have to see if there's a way to turn up logging
on MySQL itself to see what's different, or maybe switch to a TCP socket
and use Wireshark (nee Ethereal).