[rspec-users] nuby: how spec redirect_to at ApplicationController

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 10:05:46 EDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Priit Tamboom <priit.tamboom at eesti.ee> wrote:
> On 8/16/07, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> login" do
> > >
> > > heh.  "it" is so out of place here :)
> >
> > I agree. The goal is to describe behaviours of objects, not methods.
> > So, I'd write:
> >
> > it "should redirect anonymous user to home path"
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David
> >

> Thanks for great answers!
>
>  By the way, David, your blog post was good additional help about what to do
> with application methods:
> http://blog.davidchelimsky.net/articles/2007/06/03/oxymoron-testing-behaviour-of-abstractions
>
> I wonder how far you go just testing "concrete" controllers. For example, if
> I move login methods from application controller to module under lib
> directory then do you change your style (write separate spec for module) or
> just keep testing concrete controllers as usually you do.

Typically I'd only move something up to Application when I find that I
need it in two controllers. But I start by implementing it
(spec-first) in both. Then I've got duplicated specs and duplicated
code. Then I'd extract a shared behaviour, followed by moving the
method up to Application. Which extraction happens first is not
important - what IS important is that they are separate activities and
you don't start the second extraction until you have a green bar.

Cheers,
David