[rspec-users] Extra Options to Heckle

Robert Feldt robert.feldt at bth.se
Sun Aug 19 02:52:01 EDT 2007

> > One alternative I thought of is to have a standard way to "promote"
> > options to other tools that spec invokes. Along the lines of:
> >
> > spec --heckle --options-heckle "--verbose --branches
> > MyModule::MyClass#my_method" ...
> >
> > and the argument to --options-heckle (or --options-rcov etc) would
> > simply be passed along in the call to heckle. This would cover more
> > situations with a single solution.
> >
> I've cooked up a patch for a tiny-little recursive parser in the
> command line parsing to deal with the promotion of options, so that
> you could do something like this:
> spec --heckle "MyClass --verbose --timeout 10"
> So far only the --verbose and --timeout options are used (and I'm not
> sure that they are even working yet, since I haven't used heckle on
> anything but an rspec project).
> I haven't worked more on the patch because I figured it would get
> rejected for the added complexity in command line parsing of arguments.
> Robert: Maybe if you would like to take a look at my changes, I could
> email you what I have so far, and we could divide up work on the rest
> of the heckle options.  So far I have two, and there are only 8 or
> so, and at this point most of them look pretty trivial to implement.

But why do you need to parse the contents of the string with the options
that should be passed onto heckle? The idea is that it should simply be
passed on. I'm probably missing something... ;)

Best regards,

/Robert Feldt
PhD, Assistant Professor in Software Engineering
Blekinge Institute of Technology
School of Engineering (APS)
SE-372 25 Ronneby

Phone: +46 (0) 457 385 887