[rspec-users] [rspec] looking for a simple refresher

Andrew WC Brown omen.king at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 19:11:33 EDT 2007

I replaced:

@ticket.should_receive(:new).with(@params).and_return(@ticket)

with

Ticket.should_receive(:new).with(@params).and_return(@ticket)

Similar Error

1)
Spec::Mocks::MockExpectationError in 'TicketsController handling POST
/tickets should create a new ticket'
Mock 'Class' expected :new with ({}) once, but received it 0 times
./spec/controllers/tickets_controller_spec.rb:16:

If I omit @params = {} then I get the error as following

1)
Spec::Mocks::MockExpectationError in 'TicketsController handling POST
/tickets should create a new ticket'
Mock 'Class' expected :new with (any args) once, but received it 0 times
./spec/controllers/tickets_controller_spec.rb:16:

So its not receiving the new method at all even though I clearly called it.
Could it be possible that the issue is with the actual Ticket model itself?

On 8/17/07, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/17/07, Andrew WC Brown <omen.king at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been off the rspec for a few months and I'm trying to get back on
> it.
> >
> > 1)
> >  Spec::Mocks::MockExpectationError in 'TicketsController
> > handling POST /tickets should create a new ticket'
> >  Mock 'Ticket_1001' expected :new with ({}) once, but received it 0
> times
> >  ./spec/controllers/tickets_controller_spec.rb:16:
> >  script/spec:4:
> >
> > class TicketsController < ApplicationController
> >
> >   def new
> >     Ticket.new
> >   end
> >
> > end
> >
> > describe TicketsController, "handling POST /tickets" do
> >
> >   before do
> >     @ticket = mock_model(Ticket, :to_param => '1', :save => true)
> >     Ticket.stub!(:new).and_return(@ticket)
> >     @params = {}
> >   end
> >
> >   def do_post
> >     post :create, :ticket => @params
> >   end
> >
> >   it "should create a new ticket" do
> >
> > @ticket.should_receive(:new).with(@params).and_return(@ticket)
>
> This is telling the ticket object to expect new, but it's the Ticket
> class that will receive it:
>
> Ticket.should_receive(:new).with(@params).and_return(@ticket)
>
> That should do it.
>
> >     do_post
> >   end
> >
> > end
> >
> > Would someone provide with an explanation what I have to do to make this
> > spec pass?
> > Peepcode hasn't released their screen cast on rspecing controllers yet
> ='(

Monsterbox Productions
putting small businesses on-line

1319 Victoria Avenue East