[rspec-users] ActsAsList specs

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 03:03:25 EDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Steve Tooke <steve.tooke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm that's true.
>
> If the acts_as_list implementation changed, or is removed then this
> isn't going to work. But you don't really want to go down the rabbit
> warren of checking that the whole of the acts_as_list implementation
> works as expected, as presumably that's already tested.
>
> Perhaps I'm just being over complicated, and you could just mock the
> call to acts_as_list?
>
> Of course that still wouldn't guard against the acts_as_list behaviour
> changing to something that doesn't match what you were trying to
> achieve.

Exactly! You should spec the specific behaviour that YOUR application
needs. acts_as_list likely provides more than you are using. If you
focus your specs on that which your application needs, then you are
safe when you update rails, plugins, etc, because if something changes
that breaks what your application relies on, then you'll be alerted by
failing specs. If whatever changes appear don't affect what your
application cares about, then no problem.