[rspec-users] How to use expect_render?

Shaker flyeminent at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 03:21:52 EDT 2007

Hi:
    I am a rspec beginner. I have scratched my head for the whole afternoon,
trying to figure out a way of writing render expectation in controller spec.
However, I failed. It kept telling me that the 'expect_render' was an
undefined method. I have installed rspec 1.0.8 and rspec_on_rails as well.
Below is the controller to be tested.

Controller
    def index
      pre = Array.new
      render :partial=>'index', :layout=>false, :locals=>{:pre=>pre}
    end

My controller spec
    before do
      @controller = MyController.new
    end
    it "should render the index partial" do
      @controller.expect_render(:partial=>'index', :layout=>false) #I don't
know how to expect the :locals
    end

As I mentioned, the spec failed , saying that "Undefined method
'expect_render' ". There might be some mistakes in my "before" block. Do I
need to mock the controller or something else? Anyway, do any one know how
to fix the problem? It will be even better if you guys could show me a piece
of example code.
    Thanks!!