[rspec-users] stubs which yield and return

Scott Taylor mailing_lists at railsnewbie.com
Tue Aug 7 10:51:59 EDT 2007

Is there any reason why a stub couldn't both yield and return?  I'm
looking for a way to mock out a class I've made named "AnonymousClass":

class AnonymousClass

   def initialize(&blk)
     @klass = Class.new
     @klass.instance_eval(&blk) if block_given?

   def new

   def evaluate(&blk)

   attr_reader :klass
   alias_method :class, :klass

One of the behaviours of the AnonymousClass is that new can take a
block, and eval the block in the anonymous class, represented by the
@klass instance_variable:

ac = AnonymousClass.new do
   include Enumerable

So is there a way to stub AnonymousClass.new such that it yield an
AnonymousClass mock, as well as yielding to the block given?  What
are the technical challenges involved in implementing this in the
mocking framework?  Or is it a matter of clean syntax?